Found curled up in a yard on 10/20/2018

On October 20th, 2018, a neighbor notified me that there was a dog curled up in the corner of her parent’s yard.  Not knowing what to do, they called me.  This is what I found.

I was able to put a leash on her collar and coax her to follow me.  I took her home, not knowing what to do with her. She was underweight and had a horrible skin infection.  This girl had been out on her own for quite some time.  She was covered in fleas.  It turns out her hair loss was due to a flea allergy.  She had scabs all over her and was missing hair on 2/3 of her body.  When I took off her collar, there was a 2 inch area where her collar had been that was completely devoid of any hair.

Fortunately, after posting pictures of this sweet girl on Facebook, the head of one of the rescues that we have provided a grant to in 2017, contacted me to say they would take her into their rescue and arrange a foster for her.  Thank goodness!  They requested we hold onto her until a foster could be found.  We were very thankful that Rescue Dogs Rock Animal Rescue stepped up to take the onus off of us.   However, we decided to foster her.  We took “Soma” to see the vet the next day.  She was on her way to feeling better.  

It took Soma a week of doing nothing but sleeping, eating and drinking (and pooping!).  She really didn’t move.  She was being treated for a serious flea allergy and bacterial infection.  She never made a sound and was afraid to go back outside, which made it hard to potty train her.  

Time, patience and love has taken Soma very far both physically and emotionally.  She has learned a great deal from our 3 dogs and has an infatuation with our 5 cats.  She is a very happy and loving girl.  She made her first sound, a bark very, very early one morning about 2 weeks after we found her.   We were thrilled.  
Soma has been with us for about 7 weeks.  She is not going anywhere.  Soma has been with us for about 7 weeks.  She is not going anywhere.  

Soma today

Our foundation paid for Soma’s initial treatment and donated close to $1000 to help Rescue Dogs Rock offset their very large balance at their vet.







Benny was found on the streets and was on a list to be euthanized before he was pulled by a local rescue. Benny came to the rescue with untreated ear infections for at least 4 years.  Inside the ear canal was filled with calcification (hard as bone) and will require reconstruction surgery so he can heal. Unfortunately, ​he will remain deaf in one ear.  In addition, Benny had other physical maladies including 2 drainage sites on the side of face oozing pus and blood, and huge pocket of abscesses in his neck area. His salivary gland and duct are infected and oozing internally.  Benny also needs a digit on his foot amputated as well as anal fissures.  The initial surgery addressed the calcification in his ear.  He did loose his ear flap, but is healing nicely.  All other issues will need to be addressed down the road after he heals from his ear surgery.  We provided a $1000 grant, but this is just a drop in the bucket for the amount of veterinary care Benny has received to date, not including his future surgeries. 



Bear’s owners surrendered him to avoid cruelty charges. This 10-11 year old lab mix spent his life outside on a chain. This loving senior had masses all over his body–most notably, a large mass on his back left paw and 3 surrounding his left eye. In July of 2016, Bear had the mass on his paw and the 3 masses around his eye removed.   Our foundation provided a $500 grant.

Bear healed with some minimal complications from his surgery, but he made a full recovery from his mass removals. He loved his life and called his foster family his own. Sadly, Bear passed away in October that year, from complications due to heart worm that had been left untreated. According to those who were involved in Bear’s rescue, Bear was the most happy-go-lucky dog right until the end. They “try not to look at the grueling 11 years he endured with no care as an outdoor dog, and focus on the time spent being loved by a family…and he was accepted as one of their own. Even though he deserved that life long before he actually got it.”   Thank you to J & Co Dog Rescue for giving Bear the love he so deserved.


Meggie and the Arkansas 8

In March of 2017, Meggie (pictured) was purchased from a South Jersey “pet store” that was found to be selling puppies with parvo and subsequently, closed. Once Meggie’s owner found out the cost associated with treating Parvo, they wanted her to be euthanized.  Mount Laurel Animal Hospital contacted the rescue who stepped in.  Parvo is a deadly disease that has an 80% mortality rate.  At just 8 weeks old, Meggie’s risk was even higher.  Parvo is a virus that attacks mostly the GI tract producing vomiting, diarrhea, huge fluid loss, electrolyte imbalances, and eventual organ shut down.  The fact that it’s a virus means there is no cure.  Treatment is supportive – IV fluids, electrolyte replacement, Dextrose drips, antibiotics for the secondary infections, etc.   With severe cases, like Meggie’s, a plasma transfusion was needed.

Concurrently, 8 puppies were found in Arkansas as strays after their mother was killed by a coyote, and were taken in by the rescue.  As Meggie was fighting for her life, 5 of the puppies were also hospitalized fighting their own battles due to parvo and corona (viral infection of the GI track).  Our foundation gave Rescue Dogs Rock Animal Rescue a $1250 grant.
As of May 2017, Meggie and the 5 puppies were out of the hospital. The total veterinary bill to save these 6 puppy’s lives was well north of $20,000.  The rescue still had an outstanding amount owed to Mount Laurel Animal Hospital. To donate to this rescue, visit their website:, or contact Mount Laurel Animal Hospital directly to donate to help offset their $11,000 balance.


Carl was pulled from Philly ACCT and had entropian in both eyes. Entropian is a genetic condition in which a portion of the eyelid is inverted or folded inward which can cause an eyelash or hair to irritate and scratch the surface of the eye, leading to corneal ulceration or perforation.  It can feel like having sandpaper in your eyes each time you blink.  The antibiotics & lubricant being used weren’t doing the job anymore and he had chronic infections. Carl’s eyesight would be impaired, or he would possibly become blind without surgery.

Carl had his surgery on August 11, 2016 .  His eyesight had improved tremendously during the day time.  He still had a little difficulty in the evening, but overall, his sight was definitely improved and he had not had any more eye infections.  Carl is enjoying a very carefree life!  Our foundation provided a $750 grant towards Carl’s surgery.

Leave a Reply